The Putkaste Manor
The Putkaste Manor, earlier known as the Saulepa Manor, was mentioned in written records already in 1532. During its long history, the manor has had many diﬀerent renters and owners, most notably from among the De la Gardies, the Stenbocks, the Ungern-Sternbergs, and the Stackelbergs. After the nationalisation of manors at the beginning of the 20th century, the Putkaste Manor became a state manor for a while but was already in 1924 rented to the Estonian Seed Grain Cooperative. In 1934-1938, an agricultural school with a one-year study programme was operated there as well. In 1940, the manor centre was turned into a separate settlement for the construction workers building a military settlement and an aerodrome. Some barracks from that period can still be seen here. In 1944, Hiiumaa’s only agricultural state farm – the Putkaste Sovkhoz – was formed of the former manor lands. By 1960, the main building of the manor, which was built at the beginning of the 19th century but destroyed in a fire during the Second World War and in ruins ever since, was restored; and the office of the state farm was moved there. After the restoration of the independence of the Republic of Estonia (1991), the giant agricultural farms gradually closed down; and the old manor buildings were once again left without a use. By now, the majority of them have private owners.
It is a waypoint on the journey
You might also be interested in: