Kärdla factory square
In 1830, barons Ungern-Sternberg established a broadcloth factory in Kärdla. Today’s factory square formed the core of the factory complex. The four-storey broadcloth factory was located on the south side of the courtyard of the factory on the shores of the Nuutri river. On the western side of the courtyard, there was the residence of the factory director – known as the Long House, today home to the Hiiumaa Museum is located.
On the northern side of the square, 4 single-storey wooden houses or shop master’s houses for senior officials of the factory were erected and have preserved well until the present time. The houses had large gardens.
Until the end of 1970s, a house with pillars or the Summer Manor was located on the eastern side of the square. In the early years of the broadcloth factory, it was the residence of the factory director.
In 1980, the building of the ECP Hiiumaa District Committee was built on its site according to the design
project by architect Elvi Raigna. When the factory was put into operation, Baron Ungern-Sternberg planted a young oak tree under a window of his summer manor and it is still growing there. The diameter of the oak tree is 3.25 metres and it is 12.5 metres high.
Since 1982, a monument to the Kärdla Broadcloth Factory designed by Mati Karmin has stood in the centre of the Factory Square.
It is a waypoint on the journey
You might also be interested in: