The Old Port of Kalana in Kaleste Bay is the westernmost port in Hiiumaa. Its construction was started as early as during the reign of King Gustav II Adolf of Sweden in 1611–1632. Back then, the port was primarily intended to support maritime rescue. In the 1870s, a lifeboat station was built near the port. In the 1930s, a ten-oar boat manned with volunteers was located there.
During the last decades of the 19th century, the Kalana landing site was primarily used for exporting forest and construction materials. During World War II, the port of the rescue station was damaged; and the lifeboat was used by war refugees for ﬂeeing abroad.
The need for a new ice-free port arose with the establishment of fishing industry in Hiiumaa; and in 1960, a 102-metre-long wooden quay was completed in Kalana. After a few years, the construction of a quay made of concrete began. Until the 1980s, one of the main fish reception points and winter ports for the ships of the collective fishing farm Hiiu Kalur was located here. Circumstances changed; and in the 1990s and 2000s, the port stood idle for a long time, changing owners several times.
In 2011, the local entrepreneur Endel Evert (OÜ Ewent) started with the construction of a new private port next to the old fishing port. The Hiiumaa municipality bought the private port area at the end of the year 2020 and renamed it the Kalana Marina. The new marina has 40 docking spaces for both guests and local sailing enthusiasts, including coastal fishermen. The ship of the Hiiumaa Voluntary Maritime Rescue Society will also be docked there, continuing the tradition of the historical Kalana rescue station.
It is a waypoint on the journey
Sorry, this object is not part of any journeys
You might also be interested in: