The schoolhouse of Leisu
Leisu school was founded in 1893. The first schoolhouse was situated across the road from the current one, in the direction of the sea. As the number of students increased over the years, the need for a bigger schoolhouse arose. Thus, in 1934 the current building was constructed. Leisu school provided education to the majority of local people for over a century. At different times the school was either a 3-, 4-, 6- or 7-year-school. At the beginning of the 1990’s there were 5 classes with altogether 45 students and 5 teachers. From 1969 to 1991 the house did not function as a school, like several other small village schools Leisu school was closed down. From 1991 to 2003 it functioned as a school again, this time as Leisu Elementary School. The building is a cultural monument since 1999.
Well-known people like Osvald Tärk, Vaino Väljas, Arder Väli, Ruuben Post, Rein Väljas, Nils Nilsson, Einar Eistrat, Velfrid Holmberg, Meinhard Holmberg, Rifard Holmberg were students at Leisu. Throughout its history the school had 18 headmasters and headmistresses.
In 2010 the Leisu Children’s Daycare was established in the former schoolhouse; the building also functions as the meeting ground for the Agapeäotsa Society and the Association Agapäe Agarad, and houses a public library and an internet access poin
It is a waypoint on the journey
Sorry, this object is not part of any journeys
You might also be interested in: