Kärdla Church is dedicated to John the Baptist. It was built in 1861-1863 for the workers of Kärdla’s Cloth Factory and the money for the construction was collected from the workers themselves. The factory administration and landlords of surrounding manors also gave some.
The interior is like a West-Estonian new 3-naval type church. There are some remarkable furnishings like – a simple neo-gothic altar area, carved pulpit, lamps and an altar painting – “Christ on the Cross”, made in 1889.
On the eastern side of the church a very awkward four-squared wooden tower was built in 1929. It is still there today. It was built around the original gable tower, which has wide bell shutters and totally covers this remarkable airy baroque style building.
Kärdla church existed as an auxiliary church of Pühalepa up to 1926. Before founding of this church there were two churches in Kärdla in different time periods. Neither of them has remained.
It is a waypoint on the journey
Sorry, this object is not part of any journeys
You might also be interested in: